Volunteer Coordinator Job Description
Free Bikes 4 Kidz MN is a non-profit organization geared toward helping all kids ride into a happier, healthier childhood by providing bikes to those most in need. The public donates gently used bikes, we organize thousands of volunteers to clean and refurbish them and then we give them away to deserving children. FB4K collects, restores and distributes over 5,000 bikes annually via community organizations through the generous help of over 3,000 volunteers.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and leading the effective management of over 3,000 new and existing volunteers to ensure volunteer staffing needs are sufficiently met for: Bike Donation Day, Bike Giveaway Day, the two-month bike refurbishing phase and the Volunteer Appreciation Party.
The Coordinator oversees recruitment of individuals, corporate and community group volunteers, the registration process, placement/scheduling, training, database management, communications/outreach and smooth coordination with other FB4K MN staff.
Please note: this is a seasonal position, mid-September to mid-December. Hours are part-time, 20 hr/work week for the first 8-10 weeks, then ramps up to full time October – December. Pay is $17-$20/hr. Depending on experience.
Reports to the Executive Director/MN. Works closely with the Bike Recipient Coordinator, Site Leads, and Staff Mechanics. Mobile office then shift to onsite warehouse work station during bike refurbish/volunteer work phase.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND ASSOCIATED TASKS:
- Serve as primary contact for existing and prospective volunteers; manage the volunteer force to match the workload
- Update current recruitment resources; research, network and identify new sources for prospective volunteers including social service agencies, corporate/business groups, universities/colleges, etc.
- Strategically publicize FB4K MN’s volunteer opportunities. Recruit and encourage volunteer commitment through online community engagement platforms, social media, sponsors/partners, email and phone
- Develop and cultivate professional relationships to encourage returning volunteer groups. Maintain consistent contact with and thorough follow through on volunteer inquiries via web registration, phone and community events
- Manage volunteer registration and work schedule using shared website calendar; monitor daily, address changes/cancellations and fluctuating volunteer needs; resolve as needed
- Organize corporate volunteer groups, leverage special scheduling requirements, aligning them with FB4K MN volunteer needs
- Train, outline expectations, provide guidance to onsite volunteers; redirect as necessary
- Work in conjunction with FB4K MN Site Leads; help train staff to manage/lead volunteers efficiently and cooperatively using online volunteer management system
- Conduct weekly meetings with Site Leads, Mechanics and ED of Operations to assess bike restoration progress – modify volunteer needs accordingly
- Provide onsite supervision of and orient volunteers to increase understanding of their role, the organization and volunteer contribution; conduct daily orientations for each volunteer shift during the refurbishing work phase.
- Communicate volunteer needs to our presenting sponsor to include in their messaging
- Represent FB4K MN, be a cheerleader, engage and provide a positive experience for all volunteers
- Plan and execute formal volunteer appreciation event to recognize volunteer contributions
- Help to solicit in-kind donations from site vendors
- Develop a post-season volunteer survey and evaluation, provide recommendations for engagement improvements
- Contribute to, support work of FB4K MN team members; other duties as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS/PREFERRED SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of 2 years of professional work experience preferably in volunteer management/customer service, community outreach
- Knowledge of current trends, resources, and information related to volunteerism
- Proficient in MS Suite; familiar with databases, interactive web-based tools/platforms such as Google Apps, social media, online volunteer registration
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight; takes initiative, flexible, adaptable, responsive, self-managed
- Demonstrated organizational skills; experience prioritizing projects and working on several projects simultaneously. Able to anticipate and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills; able to lead and motivate volunteers
- Able to accommodate a flexible/irregular work schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends. (Must be available to work key event dates: Saturday, October 7; Saturday-Sunday, December 9-10 with possible extended hours on those weekends)
- Professional, positive, personable and a collaborative team member
- Prior experience with non-profit organization; fondness for biking and connection to biking community, a plus
- Valid driver’s license; willing to carry a cell phone and travel between meeting/working sites