Guide Job Description
The guide is in charge of management and instruction of volunteers.
Seasonal position. Hours range from 25-40 hour per week depending on applicant’s availability and coordination with other guide team members (3-4 people).
Reports to Executive Director, works closely with the Warehouse Coordinator, FB4K MN Hosts, Mechanics, Bike Recipient Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator.
JOB TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES, ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Manage, instruct and guide volunteers;
- Train and orient volunteers; ensure volunteers complete checklist
- Assist volunteer mechanics and demonstrate as needed.
- Share knowledge/teach volunteers as appropriate
- Identify issues/problems with volunteer mechanic’s capabilities and tactfully redirect volunteers to appropriate tasks
- Organize and manage bike parts inventory and supplies; make prudent replacement parts decision
- Daily opening/closing and prep of warehouse work space for volunteers
- Maintain Organization of warehouse bike inventory
- Evaluate bike inventory throughout refurbish stage, categorize bikes for repair or for part reuse
- Maintain direction and focus for group in order to identify thoroughness of repairs made
- Assist FB4K MN Hosts with volunteers as needed
- Keep finished bikes organized
- *Other duties as assigned
- Interest in working with people
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge/Skills- Must have understanding of function and repair all types of bikes, from single speed to multi-speed and varying types of derailleurs.
- Abilities- Work effectively under pressure, willing to mentor and teach, patient with people just learning skills, respond positively to change, attention to detail, attendance, etc.
- Experience- Worked as a mechanic in a bike shop
- Education- Trained on all types of bikes
- Behavioral Attributes- Examples: Willingness to take initiative and work effectively without close supervision, maintain accuracy and quantity of work under pressure of deadlines and changing priorities, adaptable and flexible with change, etc.
- Other related criteria- Must be willing to work a significant number of hours during the height of the season.
- Previous bike mechanic experience and bike knowledge is a must.
- Ability to be autonomous, prioritize workday, multitask and be detail-oriented.
- Ability to learn in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work both independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and take direction well.
- Acceptable appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to create an excellent customer and team experience.
- Good time management skills.
- A sense of urgency and ability to hustle.
- Any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.