Pro Bike Mechanic Job Description
The pro mechanic is in charge of ensuring every bike given away by FB4K MN is functional, reliable, and above all, safe.
Seasonal position. Hours range from 25-40 hour per week depending on applicant’s availability and coordination with other mechanic team members (3-4 people).
Reports to Executive Director, works closely with the Warehouse Coordinator, FB4K Hosts, FB4K Guides, Bike Recipient Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator.
JOB TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES, ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Quality control finished bikes
- Manage, instruct and guide volunteer mechanics;
- Train and orient volunteers; ensure volunteer mechanics complete checklist
- Assist volunteer mechanics and demonstrate as needed.
- Organize and manage bike parts inventory and supplies; reorder as needed, make prudent replacement parts decision
- Daily opening/closing and prep of warehouse work space for mechanic volunteer team
- Maintain Organization of warehouse bike inventory
- Evaluate bike inventory throughout refurbish stage, categorize bikes for repair or for part reuse
- Maintain direction and focus for group in order to identify thoroughness of repairs made
- Assist FB4K Hosts with volunteers when the volunteers arrive prior to Hosts or when in large groups
- Keep finished bikes organized
- Share knowledge/teach volunteers as appropriate
- Identify issues/problems with volunteer mechanic’s capabilities and tactfully redirect volunteers to appropriate tasks
- Work with Executive Director to schedule volunteer mechanics based on amount of work that needs to be accommodated
- Ensure proper supplies and parts are available in order to complete work
*Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge/Skills- Must have understanding of function and repair all types of bikes, from single speed to multi-speed and varying types of derailleurs.
- Abilities- Work effectively under pressure, willing to mentor and teach, patient with people just learning skills, respond positively to change, attention to detail, attendance, etc.
- Experience- Worked as a mechanic in a bike shop
- Education- Trained on all types of bikes
- Behavioral Attributes- Examples: Willingness to take initiative and work effectively without close supervision, maintain accuracy and quantity of work under pressure of deadlines and changing priorities, adaptable and flexible with change, etc.
- Other related criteria- Must be willing to work a significant number of hours during the height of the 10-week season.
- Previous bike mechanic experience and bike knowledge is a must.
- Ability to be autonomous, prioritize workday, multitask and be detail-oriented.
- Ability to learn in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work both independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions and take direction well.
- Acceptable appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to create an excellent customer and team experience.
- Good time management skills.
- A sense of urgency and ability to hustle.
- Any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.